This photo was first published on October 9, 2012. That's almost 2 years ago, and I am just seeing people share and repost this great idea. I'm not going to lie, this is the first I've seen it, and I think it's brilliant. It is such an important thing to bring awareness to. Dogs do not always act how we think they will and to protect them and others, social awareness is very important. People are way too confident about dogs. Just because you see a dog that seems to be behaving with his or her owner DOES NOT mean that he or she will act the same toward you. There have been so many times where I am walking Luna and people just walk up to her and pet her or get right in her face. I appreciate that you like dogs, but please ask! Luckily Luna has only barked at people that she does not get a good vibe from. And honestly, she has the right to. If someone came up to you, getting in your face and doing things that you had never seen or heard before, you'd probably act defensive too!
One of Drew's friends a while back was pregnant and waiting for her husband outside of a Starbucks with her German Shepherd, Apollo. A woman walked by and saw Apollo, and decided to pet him. Bad Idea. Apollo, who was clearly protective of his pregnant guardian, attacked the woman's arm and latched on. Pregnant mom is startled and is trying to get Apollo off of the woman, but she's pretty pregnant and can't really pull a 80+ lb dog off an ignorant woman. Finally, the husband who was inside Starbucks comes out, after the commotion, and gets Apollo off. The police came to the scene and took Apollo away for investigation. A couple of days pass, and the traumatized couple calls to see how their dog is doing. Turns out that Apollo was put down. Without them knowing. Horrified. I would have been completely horrified. Apparently, they wanted to do testing on Apollo's brain to see if there was something wrong with it, but in order to get a sample they had to put him down. This poor dog, who protected his owner, was put down because of an IGNORANT woman who did not think before she acted. This is why asking an owner to pet their dog before acting is the right thing to do!
This yellow bow idea is a great way to introduce and educate people. And when people start realizing that dogs are not always as predictable as people think, maybe more animals and humans will be saved. Please reshare this to spread the word!

0 comments:
Post a Comment