Wednesday, September 2, 2015

MY OPINION on: 8 Year Old Loses Hand in Malamute Dog Bite

Maybe you've heard the story now about the 8 year old girl who stuck her hand in a back yard fence to pet an Alaskan Malamute, and then the dog bit her hand so badly that it had to be amputated later at the hospital.

Being a dog parent and animal lover, I have an opinion, just as a parent of a young child has one.

First, I would like to say that I'm saddened to hear that this young 8 year old lost her hand, AND had to go through such a traumatic situation where she will probably never trust or love another dog in her life. I can't imagine losing a hand myself, let alone watching my child live her life without a right hand. I am sorry that this situation has happened.

However, she should not have been putting her hands, arms, legs or any other part of her body through a fence to pet a dog. You NEVER pet a dog with out asking the owner first. I have been very annoyed lately with people who just walk up to my dogs, especially now with the puppy, and pet them with out asking first. (There have been some happy moments where people have asked and I've repeatedly said "thank you for asking").

I think this story would be a little different if the dog was not behind a fence in its own backyard on his own territory. And maybe he was on a leash out in public, or even roaming free off leash. But this dog was in his den! Protecting his other pack mates and himself from intruders. It doesn't make the injury less sad, it is still unfortunate.

Another thing that I foresee happening in this case, is that the reason the girl was able to get her hand through the fence was because part of the fence was broken. I can imagine the owners of the dogs (and the property) getting in trouble for not keeping their fence intact. But I still don't think that a dog should be put down for biting a child's hand.

There's been a couple variations to the story that I've read while looking at different articles including: her hand was ripped off by the dog/her hand was amputated at the hospital, there was parent supervision/there wasn't adult supervision, there were other children with her who witnessed it/she went off on her own to see the dog, etc. This happens a lot. Varying details for the same story. But really, it doesn't matter if there was parent supervision or not. The girl should've been taught to NOT pet dogs with out ask... Just like they instill "Don't get into cars with strangers with candy." I mean come on!

Yes, I'm sure there are kids that don't listen to every single thing their parents tell them, and they will get tempted and get into the car with the stranger. And they will pet the cute fluffy dog behind the broken gate. Does it mean that she deserves her injury? Of course not!!! Just like you don't blame a child for being kidnapped! But I definitely don't blame the dog for his behavior. This is the child's fault. And I don't think they should put the dog down because of it.

There you go. That's my opinion. What do you think about this??

Comment below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment