I nearly had a heart attack today when I got home from work. I walked through my door and greeted both pups hello and took them out to go potty. When we are back in the house and the dogs start wrestling I notice that Skylar has some bumps on her lower belly. They almost look like little red pimples.
WHAT COULD THIS BE?!? I immediately think the worst: Mange, Syphilis, Psoriasis, Herpes...
My heart is pounding and I'm freaking out that she's going to die from this skin disease... MAYBR it's from her surgery she had when she got spayed! She still has a little bump that I this is scar tissue that will never fully heal. Maybe this is an infection she's having from the surgery site and it's finally coming out to the skin!
I tell Drew, worried and tears in my eyes. I text my friend, Casey (the crazy dog lady I've talked about before---I always talk to her about dog related stuff) a picture of Sky's "rash". I hesitantly do a google search of "red bumps on puppy belly"... Scared of what the results could be (since I know the only 3 things WebMD diagnoses you with is: AIDS, pregnancy, or dying, and I don't want any of that to happen to Skylar).
The following are the responses/findings of the 3 sources mentioned above:
Drew:
"I'm sure she's fine... Call the vet and see what they think... Or since they are probably closed, text Casey! Have her ask her best friend who is a professional dog trainer"
Casey:
"Is she bothered?"
Hmm... Now that she says that, Sky hasn't seemed any different at all.. Just normal puppy hyperness.
"Then, leave her alone and keep an eye on it. It's probably grass bites from the park"
She's right, I took Skylar for the first time yesterday, and she was laying in the grass a lot. Maybe it's a grass irritation.
Internet search:
Could be any of the following: puppy pyoderma, food allergy, bacterial skin infection, or mosquito bites. But since she is not itching it, licking it or bothered by it, it's probably just puppy pyoderma.
After reading more about this puppy pyoderma thing, it sounds pretty normal and nothing to be too worried about if you keep an eye on it. According to PetMD it is something only puppies get because their skin isn't fully developed or super strong yet. It happens where there is little or no hair (bellies and armpits). It is not contagious at all. Puppy pyoderma is a very mild and not scary thing.
So I can breathe again.
I'm not a bad dog mom for letting her play in the grass, it's just a natural skin infection that happens to puppies. Wow. I went from 0 to 100 and back down to 30ish pretty fast in the last hour. Phew!
If you want to read more about Puppy Pyoderma CLICK HERE!
***PUPDATE: her rash/pimples/pyoderma went away less than a week later :)
Wednesday, September 9, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good thing for you and your dog. May she live a long and wonderful life.
ReplyDeleteI hope I can say the same thing for my cat but she passed away peacefully just recently with cat euthanasia.
Hi did you have any treatment for your dog? I feel the same way when i saw my 7wks old chowchow has a bump in his belly this morning and searched and searched but felt at ease when i read this. Did you have any home remedy? Thanks in advance for yourreply.
ReplyDelete