It's summer, the season of shedding. Oh what a great season it is. If your dog is an inside dog like mine, the shedding seems a lot worse. Fur becomes part of your everyday life. Part of your outfit of the day, part of your bedding and blankets, part of your dinner, part of your shampoo, etc. I mean where ISN'T there dog fur? It got to the point where I needed to figure this thing out. Let's start where the problem occurs: Luna. Well, I'm not getting rid of her, so lets just shave her? No, not realistic.
I heard about this "Furminator" brush that sounds very intimidating, when I was at Pet Food Express. They even let me try it out for a test ride. A couple brushes down Luna's back and the thing was filled with fur. And when you gave her a pet on the back your hand was not filled with fur! What a concept! So what's the catch? The price. It's retail price is about $40-$70 on their website. And with my tight budget, I couldn't bring myself to pay for a $55 brush. What did I do? Ebay! It's a poor girl's best friend in times like these. I went home and found a Furminator for about $15-20 bucks. Still pricey for a brush but WAY more reasonable than $50. So I bought it, and waited what seemed like forever for it (since it was shipping from China, I'm sure they still had to build it!)
Finally, it arrived! And the first time I used it on Luna, it looked like a small animal exploded in my trash can. I kid you not, I could've made a stuffed pillow with the amount of fluff that came off Luna. Luna turned a complete lighter shade after I finished Furminating her, and probably at least 5lbs lighter. I gave her a bath right after and it seemed to be less work because I didn't have to scrub as much fur. It was similar to when your get your hair cut a lot shorter and you take a shower for the first time and realize you don't have to use a huge glob of shampoo because you hardly have any hair anymore. As I was scrubbing, I did notice a couple bumps on Luna's skin. I had also just switch shampoos on her, so it could've been that or possibly the intense Furminating that occurred 15 minutes prior, or a combination of both. I just kept my eye on it, and within an hour or so it was gone. Whatever it was, it wasn't life threatening.
A couple months have passed since we first used the Furminator. I use it once a week (or at least try to) and the outcomes are not as crazy as the first time. Not as much fur comes off, which makes me aware that it's doing its job. But the shedding doesn't stop. A couple hours after I use the brush, Luna starts shedding again. Maybe it's because it's been really hot and she's just shedding like crazy. It's still a good investment and it's the only brush I use on her now. I don't regret that purchase at all (especially since I got a great deal on it).
Monday, July 7, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment